Sunday 11 March 2012

Week 11: Georgia

"Just an old sweet song
 Keeps Georgia on my mind..."
 - 'Georgia on my Mind',
          Ray Charles

Pack your bags, folks, because we're heading north from Florida. We're gettin' on that midnight train to Georgia!

The Peach State of Georgia is, I suppose, synonymous to many with it's capital city, Atlanta. Atlanta has given the world Coca-Cola, CNN, UPS, and Delta Airlines, and it hosted the 1996 Olympic Games. Martin Luther King was born and buried in Atlanta and the city was famously torched by the Unionists during General Sherman's Civil War 'March to the Sea'. Atlanta casts a pretty big shadow.

I do know some other things about the state. I know REM come from the liberal college town of Athens. I know President Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer from Plains. I know the seaport of Savannah is meant to be spectacularly beautiful (in my mind's eye I picture paddle-steamers). And I know Georgia is home to the brilliantly named Okefenokee Swamp.


I'll try to find three films that depict three different aspects of Georgia, rather than just Atlanta itself. And the three I have selected are:
  • Gone With The Wind (1939)
  • Deliverance (1972)
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment