Friday 2 March 2012

Week 10: Florida

"If we get there ahead of the rest
 We'll tan right up so we all look the best;
 It's Florida time an' it's really all right,
 Find a good girl and just treat her right..."
 - 'Florida Time',
 Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band


Tired out by all the infighting we witnessed in D.C.? Looking forward to a nice relaxing break by the sea? Hey - don't expect Florida to be any safer chico...

Florida has to be one of the American states most visited by Brits - though not for the same reasons that I would go there. I think lots of families go for the massive theme parks such as Disney World and Universal Studios Tour. Being a little bit, well, odder, I would prefer to see the Kennedy Space Centre at Cape Canaveral, go alligator-spotting from swamp-boat in the Everglades, and channel my inner Hemingway with a rum punch in the Florida Keys that stretch down towards Cuba (after all, this movie challenge looks like it may become my own personal 'The Old Man And The Sea'...). Oh, and I wouldn't mind checking out the pastel art deco architecture of the city where, apparently, it ain't no surprise in a club to see Sly Stallone (Miami; my second home).


So pass the mojitos, crank up the sound system, and turn up the heat with this week's three chosen movies:

  • Key Largo (1948)
  • Body Heat (1981)
  • Scarface (1983) 

I'm sorry too, but Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach just failed to make the cut...

No comments:

Post a Comment