Saturday 4 February 2012

Week 6: Colorado

"Tell me how Colorado is
 'cause I'm stuck down in Texas wondering if
 Writing love songs about you
 Is still healthy..."
 - 'Tell Me How Colorado Is',
 The A-B Theory


Ladies and gentlemen, this week we're heading up from the coast to the 'Mile-High City' of Denver to get Rocky Mountain high.


The state of Colorado is famous for its geography, being located right where the Great Plains run slap bang into the Rocky Mountains. Colorado has wild Alpine scenery alongside well-groomed ski resorts. It is full of NORAD and USAF Academy defence chiefs alongside liberal college kids from Boulder and Denver. It voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 but voted for Obama in 2008. It strikes me as a conflicted state where there are polar opposites in all things balancing each other out. It seems like an interesting place to visit.

I can't visit unfortunately, so I will have to make do with seeing it on screen. My three Colorado-set movies for this week are:
  • The Shining (1980)
  • American Flyers (1985)
  • South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)

If that doesn't give me enough variety to be worthy of Colorado then I don't know what will!

No comments:

Post a Comment