Sunday 1 January 2012

Week 1: Alabama


"Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabama once again..."
- 'Sweet Home Alabama',
        Lynyrd Skynyrd



Happy New Year!

It's week one of the United States of Cinema, and Lovefilm have come up trumps following my hasty signing up on Wednesday night. I'm starting off with the state of Alabama, a state that I suppose to outsiders' eyes gets lumped in with the rest of 'the South' (i.e everything east of Texas and south of Washington that isn't Florida or New Orleans). I think of a history of racial tension and good ol' boys out back pickin' at their gee-tars.

The three films I have chosen to watch to bring Alabama to life are:
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (1991)
  • To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
  • Sweet Home Alabama (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment